Saturday, November 27, 2010

Check out this PowerPoint

I have been a user of PowerPoint presentations as a teacher for the history of my teaching career, not because I like them as a learner myself, but out of necessity to accommodate the visual learners in my classroom. At first I needed A LOT of help even putting together a simple PowerPoint. It was comical really. Most of my help came in the form of eager advice tidbits from my seventh graders. I have to admit that my PowerPoints were not interactive, were very straightforward and had no animations, transitions or even pictures. I was satisfied with merely getting a presentation completed.

As a student I have had the agony of sitting through countless presentations that are the ideal model of how NOT to do a PowerPoint. Too many words, no interaction, you name it. Essentially I believe that some use PowerPoint as a replacement for teaching. Class becomes an experience of a teacher clicking through and reading through slides. That is not instruction. Anyone who can read can do that. This has heightened my awareness and attentiveness to creating presentations that are used as a resource and are informative yet do not completely replace the instructor. I couldn't quite get a handle on how to narrate this presentation that I am linking to here, but if I could have, I would have, in addition to what you will see on the screen, added a lot of my own thoughts to supplement the online images and text. I hope you still enjoy the presentation. I have it in my google docs so here's the link!

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B3LUU23gb0rUNjZmYmJlY2UtNzVlNy00NDNhLTllYjYtZGVkZDc0NDllMTU1&hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment